About Our City
The Information in this presentation will give you good reasons
for locating your business or home in Trenton, Tennessee.
Trenton Tennessee Power Point Show
* * * * * * * * * * * *
Other Information about The City of Trenton
TEAPOT COLLECTION & VILLA FREED
The City Hall has a pamphlet on the Teapot Collection and Villa Freed.
We now refer to it as the Freed House. This pamphlet is free and
so is the tour of the Teapots.
Link to selected pages of this pamphlet.
Other Information about The City of Trenton
The annual Teapot Festival will be held the week of April 30th through May 6th. This year the festivals chairmen will be Terry and Tammy Hickerson. They can be reached at (731) 855-9793.
The city park is located on Manufacturers Row. It includes four baseball fields, tennis courts, two playgrounds, two picnic areas and a walking track. To rent the pavilions at the playgrounds you may call
Police Department 855-1413 located in city hall 309 S College St.
Fire Department 855-0522 located in city hall 309 S College St.
Building Inspector 855-7663 located in city hall 309 S College St.
The city of
The city tax rate is 1.72.
Children Day Care Centers (4)
Adult Day Care Centers (4)
Assembly of God (1)
Gibson County Utility District
AVAILABLE INDUSTRIAL PROPERTIES
Industrial Sites Avaliable in Trenton
Fed Ex Ground
Five M Apparel
Gibson Farmers Co-op
Kellwood Distributing Center
* * * * *
Some homes located in the Historic District are:
Rosedale Manor, 405 S. College;
Pecan Place, 503 College Street;
Crim House, 304 S High:
The Freed House, 317 East Eaton; and
Century House, 1012 College Street.
405 S. College St
Rosedale Manor B&B
Rosedale Manor was built in 1868 by Reverend Matthew Martin Marshall of Fredricksburg, Va. Who moved to Trenton with his wife and six Daughters to accept the position of minister at the First Presbyterian Church for an annual salary of $600. Marshall served for only eight Years before his death in 1874 at the age of 70. Rosedale remained in the family for five generations. Many beautiful memories were made Here but some very unhappy days lay ahead for this Trenton family. Marshall's granddaughter, Eliza McEwen, wed attorney Quinton Rankin, Rosedale. Visitors here discover the fascinating story of how legal partners, land acquisition, Reelfoot Lake and the Night Riders all added And made their home here at up to MURDER. Rosedale underwent a year-long remodeling by Widow Rankin in the early 1900's to create the grand appearance you see today. Rosedale Manor became Gibson County's first licensed Bed & Breakfast in 2001. Owner/ Operators Kenny & Sherry Vaughn and Margie Lee offer intimate elegance at its finest and delight in pampering their guests.
503 College St.
The house known as "Pecan Place" is actually two houses attached to each other. The original house was built in 1846 by Henry Lucas Elder.
A house-sized addition which faced College Street was built in 1893 by Henry's son, Horace McClung Elder. The addition is a custom design
By Knoxville architect, George F. Barber and is a Queen Anne style Victorian with Eastlake details. Because of the pecan trees abundant on
The property, Horace named the new house "Pecan Place." Interior details original to the house include beautiful hardwood floors and
Parquet inlay of Tennessee native hardwoods, carved mantles, solid brass hardware, oak trim and pocket doors along with several stained
Glass windows. Samples of the original pre-1893 wallpaper and pre-Civil War construction methods can be seen in the dining room which is
Currently undergoing repairs.
304 S. High St.
The Crim House
The Crim House was built in 1831 by Dr. W.W. Lea. Dr. Lea began his practice of medicine in Nashville and located in Eaton before coming to Trenton to practice medicine and build this home. The original structure of the home was of the type of architecture known as antebellum that many of Trenton's early homes had with two narrow front porches upstairs and downstairs with a great deal of gingerbread work between the many pillars that supported them. Mr. Lewis Oppenheimer, son of Trenton's first Mayor Mr. Meyer Oppenheimer sold the home to Mr. W.E. Birmingham Sr. Mr. Brimingham was responsible for the remodeling which led to the present appearance of the home.
It was sold to Mr. & Mrs. Parker Crim in the late 1920's where they raised their four children: Dudley, Thurman, Perry Day and Evelyn.
Mr. & Mrs. Perry Day Crim continued to reside in the home and raise their children here.
Century House is a white two-story turn-of-the-century house built circa 1912 by Mr. W.H. Dodd, who was a prominent businessman in Trenton. Mr. Dodd owned a large lumber company near the square downtown. The 3200 square foot house sits on a large two acre Lot. The architectural style is described as Southern country. The graceful home is currently owned by Bob and Susie Ferguson who Inherited the home from her parents Attorney General William Kinton and wife Billie. The Ferguson's recently refurbished it with a Copper cupola over the front bay window, new double hung windows, and insulation. All of the floors are original hardwood.
"Villa Freed" is the name given to Dr. Freed's boyhood home in the early 1900's. The land on which the Freed home was built was the site of the First school for girls in Gibson County. It was incorporated in 1852 as a private school and called the Odd Fellow Female Collegiate Institute. During the Civil War, the school was seized by Federal troops and used as a hospital and campground. Before the troops left, they burned all of The buildings. After the war, Mr. Julius Freed bought the land and built this house for his family. Dr. Freed was one of the 11 children raised in this home. Two of his sisters, Helen Rose and Katherine, ran the home while 4 brothers ran the family dry goods store known locally as J. Freed and Sons. The home was willed to the City of Trenton as a memorial to Julius and Henrietta Freed.